Holding Space Defined:
Holding Space… I talk about it often but I noticed the need to really break down what it means to do this… This is still an evolving definition but this is part of it:
Holding space is the process in which a person is fully present with themselves and with others.
It is being grounded by Sky and Earth, yet connecting with your senses. Being energetically present, aware and tuned in to who you are holding space for as well as the physical place.
This is the energetic version of active listening but on a sacred, protected and loving level.
Now this is in the best conditions of Holding Space.
Holding Space Meditation
This Meditation is for honing this ability. Please begin this alone a few times before inviting others into your meditation.
This Meditation is Part Movement, Part Stillness and Part Visualization.
1. Begin Standing in a place where you will not be interrupted or distracted for 5-15 minutes.
2. Breathe naturally for a few breaths; then slowly deepen your breathing to 3 counts for inhaling breaths and 3 counts for exhaling breaths. Do this for at least one minute.
3. Visualize your feet touching the Earth. Allow your senses to connect with the Earth Energy. Now reach down with your hands and pull this Earth Energy up through your feet, into your legs, up through each energy center (chakra) and up through the Crown of your head sacrificing the rest of the Earth Energy to the Sky.
4. Reconnect with your breath. Allow your senses to connect with the Sky Energy. Now reach up with your hands and pull this Sky Energy down through the crown of your head, into your third eye, down through your throat and down through each energy center to end through your feet; sacrificing the rest of the Sky Energy to the Earth.
5. Return to the original position. Reconnect with your breath. Allow your senses to be open and aware. Now visualize what it’s like to be calm and safe. Visualize what it’s like to be happy and laughing. When your mind naturally moves away from these images and feelings; allow it and just relax.
6. Repeat the Earth and Sky Energy exercises and visualize your energy at rest and back into your body. Allow your body, mind and energy to recognize this is the closure of the Meditation.
Write in your journal about your experience. The more you can do this meditation with ease and comfort the easier it will become to Hold Space for others.